Sunday 3 May 2009

Into Christchurch

A wee session on the blog and then frantic packing and a hurried four kilometre cycle got me to The Mak, a pub near the Waimakariri River, and one of Vaughan's regular stops on his Harley outings. Fearing that his text warning "gay lycra cycle shorts aren't allowed at the mac" I quickly pulled on some trousers. It was a good thing too as few of Vaughan's mates pulled up for their Sunday ride. He'd told them yesterday that he was going to meet me and that I'd ridden down from Christchurch. I don't know if they realised we weren't on motorbikes!



Mum dropped Vaughan off and looked after his four year-old daughter Meika for the day as we ambled our way into town. A couple of beers at the Mak and we were off - after I'd disconnected Vaughan's rear brakes so the buckled wheel could turn freely! I soon realised how slow the weight and air resistance of all my gear makes me. Vaughan - wearing jeans and a sweatshirt tore off on what he claims is his first bike ride on a "treadly" since he was a kid. I caught him and at one point passed him as he took the safe route around a roundabout rather than just cycling through like I did. A cry of "You f**kin' cheat!" had me in stitches. A couple of minutes latter we arrived at O'Sheas, a massive twenty five minutes and twelve k's from the Mak. Vaughan was puffing and blowing like a racehorse and had to order our drinks by the reliable "point and nod" method.

From O'Sheas we had a relaxed ride to our third and last pub. It was a great day and though only 16km in total (the shortest of the entire trip) I fell asleep on Vaughan's sofa after we'd put the bikes away. Vaughan's convinced that we'll go for more rides in the future.



So that's it. Riding over for now. 29 days. 1665km. Auckland to Christchurch. It's a bit hard to believe. I can't say I've loved it all, but I've loved it. What a trip. I'm almost tempted to throw in that nauseating Americanism "It's been a journey..." but let's get real. All I did was get up each day, throw my leg over the bike and ride a wee way. I've just been really lucky to have the opportunity and to see it all. Now if only this weather would improve maybe I can do some more.... which I suppose gives us a closing myPod song "Weather With You" by Crowded House.


1 comment:

  1. Already there! Wow you have been so quick! You look healthy! Hope you will keep writing for a while! /K

    ReplyDelete

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!