Thursday 14 May 2009

The number 19 bus

With the Surly out of action until I fix the puncture - my first two attempts failing miserably! - I took the bus to get to the University. This should have been easy, afterall Christchurch has an integrated bus system where you can jump on, pay a fare and then transfer at the Bus Exchange (or elsewhere) for free.

Arriving at the Bus Exchange I looked at the board and saw that the bus I'd picked wasn't coming for another ten minutes, but there was a number 19 bus going in two minutes. A quick check of my trusty bus route guide showed that the number 19 also goes past the university, so I jumped on. Eight minutes saved! After about five minutes the bus didn't seem to be heading in the right direction. After ten I was convinced it wasn't. I was on the right numbered bus but going in the wrong direction! Bollocks. So I got off, crossed the road and waited for the next bus back via the bus exchange and onto the university.

A half hour trip turned into an hour and a half, but I've got to laugh at the irony of having driven an overland truck through cities ten times the size of Christchurch without getting (too) lost and then being unable to catch the right bus.

1 comment:

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!