Thursday 30 April 2009

Big Trucks

Looking through the comments book at Pedallers Rest two things stand out. One - cyclists don't like headwinds. And two - they hate some heavy trucks.

Many of the big truck drivers are great. Some slow down or move right over to the far side of the road if there's nothing coming. Most move over a bit and leave a good metre or two. But a few don't slow or seem to move at all. They barrel through inches away and buffet the hell out of the bike.

Approaching bridges and tight bends I'm now becoming almost paranoid. I know that they're not out to hit me on purpose (I sure hope not), but when there's no shoulder at all it can be quite frightening. I bet most truck drivers have never been blasted off the road and I'd love for them to try standing on the road edge while a huge truck screams by.

In many places the shoulder of the road is pathetic - I've seen bigger shoulders on an Ethiopian famine poster child - but some truck drivers don't seem to notice. Maybe it's the bright yellow and red of the NZ Post Roadstars, but they seem to be the worst. Hang on, yellow and red? They're Galatasaray colours! It is a conspiracy!!! Seriously though, they seem to be worst along with Fonterra's milk tankers (which give off a very strong draft), Freight Lines and a few others. Mainfreight for some reason seem to be the best - they pull over or slow down more often than the others.

OK, rant over...... and besides, it's karma in a way. Today I got blasted off the road only to stop, catch my breath (and check my undies) to look down and see a cellphone lying right next to me. It's soaked but might come right and then I'll be up one fancy Nokia camera phone! Today's myPod hit - 'Instant Karma' by John Lennon.

1 comment:

  1. Galatasaray :) Seriously :)
    Damn truckies that almost make you shart. You know both sides now, truck driving and biking. I know you truck driving is great and safe, and I bet you are a responsible biker too. Hope your new well earned Nokia will work well. We are going to Stoneys parents tomorrow, bank holiday on Monday. We look forward to a weekend on the country side. We might get to see some scenery as well after all. Come back, we miss you! /karro

    ReplyDelete

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!