Thursday 23 April 2009

Wellington to Pelorus

The ferry between Wellington and Picton is right at the top of my must do list for any visitor to New Zealand. The very top. It's a scenic splendour and the easiest 92km of any riding day!

I got up early and cycled to the ferry terminal via the Wellington waterfront. It was an overcast morning with a gentle southerly, so the crossing would be smooth but sadly lack the sunshine. Being the only cyclist on board I had the privilege of boarding the ferry on the rail deck and then binding the Surly in the cycle alcove. It was a little bit sad to have to go upstairs and leave my friend of the last 1000km behind.



I was sailing on the ferry Arahura (Pathway to dawn), one of the older ferries but it's been refitted and has all the mod cons. It's even got a movie theatre for those too scared to see the sea. But they'd probably show The Poseidon Adventure!

Up on deck the I said goodbye to Wellington and we headed out into Cook Strait. With little sea running and no waves the way the light played off the water was amazing.



While on board I feasted on my, now usual, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and also gave the Interislander a chance to enter the chip buttie competition. They won't be in the final big three! I also took time out to read a bit of Ian Rankin's 'Bleeding Hearts'. I felt like a change from Harry Potter and Rankin writes the excellent Rebus series, so this one should be good.



Once in Picton I was one of the first off and headed for Queen Charlotte Drive which winds its way westwards towards Havelock. I'd only been on the road five minutes when i saw my first two cycle tourists. Apparently the South Island is a much more popular cycling destination. I'm certainly looking forward to the lower traffic volumes.

Queen Charlotte drive drops into and out of bays along the way and the views from some of the headlands are simply magical. Along the way I could hear all manner of birdsong including the lovely bellbird. Unfortunately, my desire to get the 55km to Pelorus out of way overrode the chance to really enjoy the scenery.



Having got off the ferry at 1:30 it was always going to be a push to get to Pelorus and I considered stopping 9km short at Canvastown which boasts a camping ground. Turing off into the 'town' I saw a sign saying the campground was 8km away. Naturally I did a u-turn and headed onto Pelorus arriving at 4:30.

The Doc campsite at Pelorus bridge is absolutely beautiful and has hot showers and gas cooking rings. And I had it all to myself. Apart from the odd possum which I heard in the evening. All this for only $10. So I may have missed a bit of the view on the way, but it was lovely to stay here.

1 comment:

  1. I remember driving up hill, down hill and up again. I remember how I looked at the cyclists and feeling sorry from them, all sweaty and tired. But I realise I also missed out on a few things :) Karro

    ReplyDelete

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!