Friday 10 April 2009

Pureora Forest Park

When I was studying Environmental Technology at Unitec in Auckland in 2006 we had a field trip to Pureora. It is one of the few pieces of virgin New Zealand bush remaining. I decided a day off the bike was in order in favour of spending some time here.

Even though it was still a bit wet when I got up I headed straight off to the Totara Walk. It's a thirty minute stroll amongst giant Totara trees. The birds were all singing especially the Tui which has a wonderful song.

Back to the camp for a quick cuppa and porridge all cooked on the beer can cooker. While I was cleaning up one of the DOC staff called by to see how I was getting on. I asked him about firewood and he said he'd get me some. He sure did - about 0.25 cubic metres of the stuff!

From the campsite it's about an hour walk to the Tower Lookout. The tower is 12m high and sits near the site of the 1978 protests against logging of native trees in the Pureora area. Many people spent time here (and in other sites around New Zealand) up in the trees to stop the logging. Some even chained themselves to the tree so they couldn't be removed. Eventually the Forest Service stopped logging here. I'm glad they did and thank the protestors, because Pureora is a truly magical place.



I sat up in the tower for a couple of hours reading Harry Potter, munching on cold baked beans and listening to and watching the birds. I saw kaka, kereru, silver eye, riflemen, tui, native robins and tomtits and even the elusive kakako. And with all of the birdsong it was fantastic.

On the walk back to the campsite I stopped for a look at the abandoned steam hauler used until the late 1940s to winch logs out of the forest.

I got a good fire going despite a heavy shower which passed through about 3pm and made dinner early. I ate at about 4:45! And the obligatory strolled off to see the sunset.



The myPod wasn't too active today - too much going on, but it did start off with "I Can't Stand the Rain" by Eruption and later on there was a bout of "Why Does It Always Rain On Me" by Travis.


It was a clear night and after fooling around with my new camera's starlight setting I managed to get this picture of the Southern Cross. Hopefully there'll be no rain tonight so I can get a dry and early start.....


1 comment:

  1. amazing stars, sunrise and birdsong in the forest. So jealous!! /karoline

    ReplyDelete

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!