Saturday 11 April 2009

Taumaranui to Ohinepane

Sticking to the plan I got a fair bit of the blog updated after an hour on the ‘net at the campsite and then a (cheaper!) hour at the i-site in town. The i-site has a really good display on the Raurimu Spiral which is a train-buff’s dream.

Doing the blog is fun but slow and my typing’s shocking. I’m also wondering if I should be writing all of the “I did this, then that…” It seems a bit boring, but part of the purpose of this blog is to keep a diary of my trip.

I had an email from Canterbury University about arranging a telephone interview for a teacher training placement, so that’s promising. And there were a couple of emails from Karoline about adding the ‘where I’ve been’ maps. They’ll look great. Cheers Karo.

I finished this morning in Taumaranui with a food shop and a fed of chip butties. Again not the best; Te Kuiti still leads so if they ever lose their shearing capital of the world title they could go for “Stu reckons our chips are great!!”

It’s only twenty kilometres out to the Ohinepane recreation area on the banks of the Whanganui river. Even so there’re a few hills so I tried to take it easy. I’m trying to get out of the habit of pushing too hard.

The Forgotten World Highway is (so far) stunning. The road winds through lots of rolling farmland between big hills. There are plenty of ponga ferns along the roadside to. It’s the sort of country I’d expect Barry Crump’s “Good Keen Man” to rock up to and blag some work.

Today the myPod classic, in part due to the highway’s name, was “Forgotten Years” by Midnight Oil.


The campsite here is fabulous and I gave the bike a quick once over in the afternoon sun - the top bolts on the front pannier seem to be loosening under the weight and vibration. For the first hour or so I had the campsite to myself and had set up home next to the cooking shelter and overlooking the river. But by 4pm the first lot of others arrived and by 5 there were two couples in cars – one from Auckland, the other from Israel – and a few groups of kayakers and rafters. Once again I find I have to share the beautiful surroundings; it just makes the time at Pureora even more special.


1 comment:

  1. thanks Stu! I will put them on then :) And try to do the rest tomorrow. Hope Harry is going down well. Abi says hi! /K

    ReplyDelete

Choose Anonymous (if you don't have any of the accounts shown) to post your comment. Sign with your name. Thanks!